Wednesday, June 1, 2011

To Uncle Crystal...

I really don't know where to start this blog entry. Let's just start by saying we will miss you lots and we really do hope you love Seattle, but we wouldn't be disappointed if you came back sooner than we all expect.

During the summer of 2000(I think??), I worked at a summer camp for the YMCA trying to get some hands on experience working with kids to prepare myself for my career as a teacher. I met this beautiful and fun loving girl named Crystal who was also working at the camp during her summer off from UF. (Go Gators!) We "hit it off" instantly. Very quickly, we started spending lots of time together not only at work, but also outside of work. When summer was over I was sad to see my new BFF return to Gainesville, while I headed back to USF. The great part was my boyfriend at the time also went to UF, so I spend most of my weekends making the three hour trip from Sarasota to Gainesville. Crystal and I continued to grow our friendship bond. Eventually, my BF and I broke up so I wasn't visiting as often, but Crystal always made it a point to visit with me when she was home visiting her family.

Fast forward to Spring Break 2001 when she met my brother. One day while we were hanging out she saw a picture of a boy she thought was HOT! She inquired who this person was....ugh...my brother???!!! At the time, my brother was in the Navy and stationed out in Seattle, Washington. I promised her I would introduce them next time he was on leave. The big introduction happened that Spring Break 2001, apparently fireworks went off. At first I couldn't be more thrilled that my brother was going to be dating a good friend of mine. How perfect to pick your brother's girlfriend, right??

A few months into their new relationship, I started to feel like a Kindergarten girl who just lost her best friend. It was horrible!! And I was so disappointed. I wanted to take back that day I introduced them, so I could have my friend back. I did get past my resentful feelings, eventually. haha!

Once my brother was done with the Navy and Crystal graduated collge they moved to Clearwater to start new jobs. After a few years and a job change, Crystal bought a house. My brother went to college at USF to pursue a degree in Engineering. We all bugged them about getting married but they kept us all sitting on the edge of our seats for a long time.

Parker was born and they became the best uncle and honorary aunt a little boy could ask for. My brother graduated from USF in May of 2010. Then Mason and Audrey were born, we hoped they would share a birthday with Aunt Crystal but I guess they wanted their own day. My brother continued to search for a job for over 6 months with no real prospects. Finally, they decided that my brother would look in other states. He was offered a job in Seattle, Washington???!!! Things started to move fast. Looking for places to live, getting the house ready to sell, and looking at engagement rings were all part of the plan.

Yes, folks, after all these years my brother was going to propose to Crystal!!! I think we were all thrilled, but in disbelief. Overall, we were just plain happy!!!! He proposed and of course she said YES! Our family and friends got to celebrate with them before they will leave on June 8th at a BBQ at my parents house.

We will miss both of you and can't wait to help you plan the wedding.

1 comment:

  1. Crystal sent me over here to read the blog post that made her cry...this is so sweet! I'm going to miss them, too (and yes, I hope they move back sooner rather than later- lol!)
    -Nicole

    ReplyDelete